Friday, July 30, 2010

Inspiration?

Sorry I have been a bit quiet lately -which is not like me-as I have been battling bronchitis and haven't been up to much. But I have managed to finish a quilt I have had lying around for some
years - shame shame.
I have always found it fascinating where inspiration to start or finish a project comes from but more importantly how to harness it. I was recently in Melbourne for the Australian Quilt Convention which included an exhibition of Kim McLean's quilts. I had seen a retrospective of her work years before in Sydney where quilt Hexagon stars (above) really caught my eye. I then chased up a copy of the 2005 Quilters Newsletter calender as it included a pattern of the quilt.
I worked on the quilt over the next few years but then the stars and diamond blocks ended up in a drawer. After seeing the quilt again at the show I returned home itching to finish it.

Kim's quilt was inspired by the original made in Sydney by a lady named Frederica Josephson around 1850 using cottons and chintz fabric, a close up of the quilt above.

I am thrilled with the finished top, it's a bit brighter and pinker than the original. I will post a photo when it is finished which could be a few more years coming as I really feel it deserves hand quilting.

No comments: