Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My first hooked rug

I love it when I finally finish a project. This one has been a long time coming, first it was getting the wool stash together which has taken a couple of years of buying bits and pieces and scouring Op Shops for woollen skirts and jackets then my friend Linda went to the States and picked up a Gripper frame for me and finally I sat down and read every book I had on hooked rugs to work out how it was done.

As is always the case trying to decide which pattern to start with was another dilemma. I finally decided on this tree and stars pattern from a book by Cherie Ralston called Stars all around us. I was originally going to hang it on a wall then I found this great old foot stool at a local trash and treasure market and painted it black, after picking up a few more red wools in the States last year I was able to finish the background and here is the finished piece.



1 comment:

Sharon said...

I've just added your blog to my list, Love the wool rug. I admire the ones from Minnick and Simpson, but i"ve not attempted one yet.